Saturday, May 25, 2013

I Forgot To Be Your Lover


William Bell's "I forgot to be your lover is one of my favorite songs of all time, I don't know how to explain it but there seems to be some sort of magic about the song itself, a magic that doesn't allow anyone who rerecords it to mess it up. Seriously, there really isn't a bad version of the song. I mean some are better than others but they all have a quality to them that can't be said about re-recordings of other songs. Now I really only know of 18 versions so I can't speak to versions that I don't know about but I'll bet you they're at least listenable, probably. Any ways I put together a small comp of my favorite versions including ones from Robert Cray, Al Kooper, and Paulette Reaves. At this time I should point out Mad Lads Cover is nothing short of epic, also there are more than a few reggae/rocksteady versions of the song highlighted by Shenley Duffus & The Soul Avengers version straight from the Lee "Scratch" Perry camp.


The songs biggest success was realized in form of Billy Idol's 1986 version , featuring rolling piano riffs and gospel like back ground singers, truly amazing. Any ways here are 13 of my favorite versions, enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment